Linda is looking for a ride from Haines Junction to Haines on Thursday, August 7th, sometime...
Submit and View KHNS Postings
Please use the following links to submit or view on-air messages :
Submissions must be approved and may be edited for content before appearing on the website or read on-air. If you would like a confirmation, please email the station at firstname.lastname@example.org. LPs are processed as soon as possible, please allow 3-5 days for process of PSA's . If submitting after 5pm or over the weekend announcements will not be approved until the following weekday.
From Our Listeners
Alaska and Yukon Headlines
The Kennedy Center Mark Twain Prize salutes Tina Fey. Taped at The John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts, the special features a star-studded cast of Fey’s friends and colleagues, including top entertainers Fred Armisen, Alec Baldwin, Steve Carell, Jimmy Fallon, Jon Hamm, Jennifer Hudson, Jane Krakowski, Steve Martin, Seth Meyers, Lorne Michaels, Tracy Morgan, Amy Poehler and Betty White. The evening pays tribute to the humor and accomplishments of the popular writer, producer, actress and comedienne.
- Friday, July 25th 8:00-9:30 pm
When you’re biking in Alaska, you can expect things to be a little more intense. Riders in the 49th state deal with constantly changing weather, rough terrain, and unexpected animal encounters. The men and women of Alaska’s Downhill Brigade wouldn’t have it any other way.
Josh Skoglund – jgsconcepts.net
Starship Amazing – starshipamazing.com
Alaska could follow in the footsteps of Colorado and Washington if voters choose to legalize marijuana in November. Ballot Measure 2 would tax and regulate the production, sale and use of marijuana in Alaska. Hear Kristina Woolston and Taylor Bickford debate what that means for the state in a debate hosted by the Anchorage Chamber of Commerce.
For more information on Ballot Measure 2, visit the Alaska Division of Elections’ website explaining the measure.
- Kristina Woolston, Vote No on 2: Big Marijuana, Big Mistake
- Taylor Bickford, Campaign to Regulate Marijuana Like Alcohol in Alaska
- Andrew Halcro, moderator, Anchorage Chamber of Commerce president
BROADCAST ON KSKA: Tuesday, July 22, 2014 at 2:00 p.m. (Alaska time)
REPEAT BROADCAST: Tuesday, July 22, 2014 at 9:00 p.m. (Alaska time)
RECORDED: July 21, 2014, at the Dena’ina Civic and Convention Center
Addressing Alaskans features local lectures and forums recorded at public events taking place in Southcentral, Alaska. A variety of local organizations host speakers addressing topics that matter to Alaskans. To let us know about an upcoming community event that you would like to hear on Addressing Alaskans, please Contact Us with details.
Audio to be posted following broadcast.
Not very many years ago it was pretty easy to know how the publisher of a newspaper felt about things. All you had to do was look at the editorial
page. But when the Anchorage Daily News was acquired by the Alaska Dispatch, it stopped running its own editorials. Now it is changing its name, and the managers of the Alaska Dispatch News will be taking questions from Alaskans across the state.
HOST: Steve Heimel, Alaska Public Radio Network
- Alice Rogoff, Majority Owner
- Tony Hopfinger, President and Executive Editor
- Callers Statewide
- Post your comment before, during or after the live broadcast (comments may be read on air).
- Send e-mail to talk [at] alaskapublic [dot] org (comments may be read on air)
- Call 550-8422 in Anchorage or 1-800-478-8255 if you’re outside Anchorage during the live broadcast
LIVE Broadcast: Tuesday, July 22, 2014 at 10:00 a.m. on APRN stations statewide.
Seventy percent of all active nicotine users wish they had never startedand about half tried to quit once in the last year. The negative health implications of tobacco use are well documented and the social acceptance of the practice is waning. Despite all of the awareness and the multitude of obvious reasons to quit, most who try find it an exceedingly difficult proposition that often ends in failure. Why does this natural herbicide have the ability to control our minds to the point that we will consume it despite the fact that it is a poison that slowly kills us? Join Line One host Prentiss Pemberton and guest clinical psyclologist Dr. Ron Ohlson as they discuss the psychological challenges of overcoming nicotine addiction.
HOST: Prentiss Pemberton, LCSW
- Dr. Ron Ohlson, psychiatrist and director of the Tele-Behavioral Health, Alaska Psychiatric Institute; Assistant Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, University of Washington School of Medicine
- Alaska Tobacco Quit Hotline, 1-800-QUIT-NOW
- Alaska Tobacco Control Alliance
- Alaska Tobacco Prevention and Control Program: Alaska Department of Health and Human Services, Division of Public Health
- “Is Smoking Tobacco Really Addictive?” Cancer.org
- “Nicotine Addiction 101,” WhyQuit.com
- “Smoking Cessation,” Cleveland Clinic Center for Continuing Education
- “DrugFacts: Cigarettes and Other Tobacco Products,” National Institute on Drug Abuse
- “Gender, Women and the Tobacco Epidemic,” World Health Organization
- “Why Is It So Hard to Quit?” American Heart Association
LIVE BROADCAST: Monday, July 14, 2014 at 2:00 p.m. AKDT
REPEAT BROADCAST: Monday, July 14, 2014 at 9:00 p.m. AKDT
DR. WOODARD’S FAVORITE HEALTH AND SCIENCE LINKS:
- Cleveland Clinic
- Mayo Clinic
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- American Academy of Allergy Asthma & Immunology
- American College of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology (ACAAI)
- Science Based Medicine
- Super Smart Health
SUBSCRIBE: Get Line One: Your Health Connection updates automatically by:
Cyrano’s Theatre Company is presenting, for the second time, Nora and Delia Ephron’s intriguing play about clothing, women and the stories they tell in Love Loss and What I Wore July 21st through August 13th. Director Linda Benson and Danielle Rabinovitch, one of the six talented actors who portray those stories, drop by Stage Talk this week to give us an insider’s view into what this play is all about.
- Linda Benson, Director, Cyrano’s Love, Loss and What I Wore
- Danielle Rabinovitch, Actor, Cyrano’s Love Loss and What I Wore
ORIGINAL BROADCAST: Friday July 18th, 2014 at 2:45 p.m.
SUBSCRIBE: Get Stage Talk updates automatically — via:
Audio will be posted following radio broadcast.
Inmate deaths lead to hearing before lawmakers. The woes of Buccaneer Energy. The fight over who is responsible for the North Pole suloflane spill continues. The evolution of Alaska oil taxes. The North Slope haul road is in trouble from “a moving mass of frozen debris.” An update on the US Senate race. A successful missile test over the Pacific increases the likelihood the Defense Department will send more missiles to Fort Greely. Headline; “Ex-Guard Chief Moves to Arctic Frontline.” Who is he?
HOST: Michael Carey
- Dermot Cole, Alaska Dispatch/ADN.
- Paul Jenkins, Anchorage Daily Planet
- Tim Bradner, Alaska Journal of Commerce
KSKA (FM 91.1) BROADCAST: Friday July 18 at 2:00 p.m. and Saturday, July 19 at 6:00 p.m.
Alaska Public Television BROADCAST: Friday, July 18 at 7:30 p.m. and Saturday July 19 at 4:30 PM.
The Chugiak-Eagle River Chinooks bested the Peninsula Oilers 4-0 Thursday at Loretta French Park in Chugiak.July 17, 2014